February 12, 2017 ~ The Lord's Prayer: Forgive Us As We Forgive

Forgive Us As We Forgive
Pastor Mathew Magera – 2/12/17 – Sermon 208
St. Thomas Lutheran Church, Trufant, MI
To God be the Glory!

Grace and peace to you from God our Father, from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. Amen.
When I was a kid, I loved to ride my bike. I had so much fun riding around, pretending to be different things. Planes, trains, mail trucks, garbage trucks, racecars, school buses, you name it. I was obsessed with riding bikes. I remember one day I rode down to my friend's house a few houses down from mine. They had this fenced in area between their house and their garage and my friends and I would pretend it was a parking garage. Nobody was home at the time but I wanted to play anyway. So, I rode up, opened the gate, drove in and closed the gate behind me. Then, I went back out through the gate. I did this a few times. But, one time, I got into the fenced in area, shut the gate, but I couldn't get it open again. I was too small, I couldn't climb fences and I was not strong enough to get the gate open. I panicked. But, I had one option. I went up to the backdoor the house, just about fighting tears now, luckily the door was unlocked, I ran through their house, out the front door and ran home to get help. I got my mom to come help me. Now, by this time, of course, my friend's family had just gotten home only to see new bike in their yard along with their front and back doors wide open. Everything was fine, once my mom had explained what happened. But, still, as a kid, I thought this was what it was talking about at the part of the Lord’s Prayer where we say forgive us our trespasses. Lord, forgive us when we trespass on other people's property as we forgive those who trespass on ours.

What Is Trespassing?
I hope I’m not the only one who has ever thought of this petition as a means to keep off private property. I mean, as a child, what definition of the word trespass do we typically learn first? In fact, we were talking about something like this at Bible study last night. On many of the fields around here and potential hunting areas, what signs are posted? “Private property. No trespassing.” Meaning, stay off. Fortunately, the Lord’s Prayer has been translated many different ways that we also can have different words in place here. The more modern version, perhaps the most ideal way to understand this petition says, “Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us.” Now, that’s much simpler, is it not? That gets right to the point. But, yes, in an archaic sense, the word trespass can also mean sin. We may understand it now, or maybe we just believe it because that is what we are taught to believe. Another translation of this petition might sound like this, “Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors.” Still, not as easy to understand as sins, but a bit more helpful. A debt is a failure to pay something. Do we think that Jesus knew just how much a college education was going to cost us in the 21st century that he anticipated our need to pray for the forgiveness of debt? No, likely not. Still, this word was the one that was in the original language. Debt.
In Jewish thought, each and every sin created a deposit of debt before God. Each sin, therefore, created a dividing line separating the person from God. With each sin, the divide grew. On the other hand, each good work contributed to the person’s accumulation of assets which built kind of a bridge to lessen the divide. Each sin was a demerit that separated and those demerits were called debts. So, in a way, it does have a monetary value to us when we hear it that way. As a Jewish person in Jesus’ day, your goal was to have more good works than debts. Of course, it never worked out for anybody. So, I really like these definitions. Sins is easy to understand. Yes, we know we need our sins forgiven. Debts can be culturally understood if we think of it in terms of money and our standing before God. But, the prayer we most likely know is “Forgive us our trespasses.” So, I did what anyone would do when they don’t know how to define a wore, and I went to the dictionary. Actually, I went to Google because why waste time turning pages when Google will tell you anything with so much less effort involved.
So, I’m on Google and I get the definition and I look for the correct meaning I’m looking for. It said, “a sin; an offense.” Okay, a little anti-climactic at best. So, I went to the synonyms. Sin, wrong, wrongdoing, transgression, crime, offense, misdeed, misdemeanor, error, lapse. But, then there was this last one and it stopped me a bit. This last synonym for the word trespass was “a fall from grace.” I have to be honest, I just stopped right there and stared at it. Sometimes you don’t need an expensive Bible commentary to get some powerful insight. So, I stared at this synonym and I thought to myself, that’s it. A sin is something bad I’ve done, a debt is money that I have not paid, and trespassing is running through somebody’s house when they aren’t home, but falling from grace... is different. Forgive us when we fall from grace. Now, if you take a moment to think about what that sounds like. If we use that definition we are praying to God to forgive us each time we fall from grace. We are praying that God would be gracious even though we have led ourselves outside of its boundary. We are praying that God would take a step beyond the boundary and bring us back into grace with grace as the tool. We’re on one side of the fence and can’t get the gate open, the gate that we’ve shut and we are praying that God would open it for us. It sounds like something God would never do, yet Jesus is the one that is teaching us to pray and Jesus would not teach us to pray for something that were not possible. Forgive us, Lord, when we fall from grace. Be gracious to us once again. 

Forgiveness Is Not Conditional
Of course, this would all be great if we didn’t have to worry about the second part of this petition. Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. We thought we could get out of it but we still have work to do. It sounds like a conditional statement. If we forgive the sins of others against us, God will forgive us. Does it seem like something God would say? I mean, love your neighbor, right? The Golden Rule, perhaps? Treat others as you wish to be treated. But, now I want you to think about this question... what if God forgave us in the same way we forgive each other?
Just think about those people who have wronged you and how you responded. Think of them. Sure, you might say, yeah, I’ll forgive this person for this, I’ll forgive that person for that. But, what about that time when you said, I’m not so sure I can forgive you quite yet. What about that time when you said, I’ll forgive you because I know I right thing to do but not because I really want to? Or maybe even that time you said, no, absolutely not, I just can’t bring myself to forgive that person for what they did. Now, take a minute and put God in our shoes. What if he really treated forgiveness the same way we treated others. God will say, okay, I forgive you for this, I forgive you for that. I guess I’ll forgive you for this other thing but I really don’t want to, but no, I will not forgive you for that last one. Can you imagine God doing that? If you can’t imagine God doing that, then perhaps we need to rethink how we pray this prayer. It sounds conditional, as if God’s forgiving us relies solely upon us forgiving others.
Forgive us, just as we have forgiven others. God I forgave so and so, forgive me. Or perhaps on the other unfortunate side, God, I can’t forgive them, thus you must not be forgiving me of my sin. How detrimental to our faith that must be, to be in a place where we just cannot forgive somebody and to have that guilty feeling multiplied when we pray these words of the Lord’s Prayer that appear to tell us that because of our condition God cannot forgive us. We are unforgivable. Can you believe that? Can you believe that a human limitation such as not being able to forgive someone for whatever it may be, can stop God from offering us complete forgiveness of our sins? No. We’re sinful creatures, we’re naturally not going to want to forgive someone, it’s one of our faults. This can’t be understood as a conditional prayer. We cannot avoid looking for grace here. The Law is always conditional, grace is always grace.
So, if we don’t look at it as a conditional, statement, how then can we look at it? First of all, forgiveness is never conditional. God forgives us our sins, He forgave us our sins on the cross. It’s a done deal. Whether or not we believe it is another question and another sermon. But, the all-important word here that we need to focus on is the small word, “as”. Perhaps we might better place the word “while” here. Forgive us our trespasses while we forgive those who trespass against us. Have you ever been wronged so bad you thought you might never able to get to that point of forgiveness? If you got to that point where you were able to forgive, how did it feel? When we come to a position where we can forgive someone, for us to be able to overcome the great distance we had to travel to get to that point of forgiveness, it serves as a reminder of God’s forgiveness over us. We who were an eternal distance away from God because of our sin have been forgiven. The difficulty in forgiving one person one thing is only the starting point to how God is forgiving us right now. This prayer is serving to remind us of God’s forgiveness so that when we forgive someone and we understand what that feels like, we have already felt the power of forgiveness given to us. It’s like a weight being lifted off of us to forgive someone and as we do it can remind us of the great weight that has been lifted to restore our relationship with God. If we can do it, we can only imagine how much greater God’s forgiveness is. It’s almost as if we have been forgiven all over again. Forgive us while we forgive others. Pure grace because God has promised it. Our forgiving someone else does not earn our forgiveness. Jesus’s blood shed on the cross earned our forgiveness.

Forgiveness is Unexpected
Put yourself in a situation where the subject changes to church. You are with someone who knows you well. You may even be related to them and they start telling you why they haven’t gone to church in however long.  You’ll hear it all from the service being too early, to having kids that have sports on Sunday, to Sunday morning being prime time for fishing and hunting. What’s the best and most unexpected thing you could do at this point? They’ve just sat there confessing to you what has been keeping them from the Lord. The best thing you could do in a situation like this is take them by the hand and say, “Joe,” or whatever their name is, “in the name of Jesus Christ, your sins are forgiven.” I guarantee they won’t be expecting such a response. But, do we normally do that? No. We say, come to church with us. Why are we withholding forgiveness for so long? It’s as if we’re saying if you come to church you will be forgiven, but no, that’s not how we should respond. We don’t want to delay God’s grace from being shared any longer than we have to. Forgive them and forgive them right then and there.
They won’t be expecting it. They’re thinking you’re inviting them to church and say, “wait, what did you just say?” And you’ll tell them you just offered them forgiveness in Jesus’ name. In fact, by offering them forgiveness you’ll be leading the conversation into a much deeper place than just inviting them to church. If you invite someone to come to church with you, aside from the time of the morning they would have to wake up, what do you think their next question would be? “What do I wear?” Already, they are back focused on themselves and how to present themselves before God. You stand there and forgive their sins in Jesus’ name, they might ask, how can you do that? Boom, well let me tell you.
*                      *                      *
Forgiveness. It's what Jesus is all about and thus it is what we are all about. And just as unexpected as it will be for that other person to hear, we know that forgiveness of our sins also comes when we are least expecting it. We should offer that forgiveness just as freely as God offers it to us for we know that if God ever stopped forgiving us our eternal future would be lost. Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. Forgiveness when we fall from God's grace realizing how inadequate we are. Forgiveness not conditioned by our human abilities but freely given and remembered as we practice the sharing of grace. Forgiveness shared in those unexpected moments.  With that said, would you please join me in prayer.

Almighty God, we confess to you that we are sinners. There are areas in our lives that are not pleasing to you and justly deserve your punishment. Even today we have sinned against you in ways that deeply offend you. We are sorry for them and repent of them and pray for your boundless mercy. May Jesus' blood, shed on the cross, wipe away our sins and make us clean within. May you overcome the sins that have been in our families for generations. This we pray in Jesus' name. Amen.


In the name of Jesus Christ, your sins are forgiven. Forgive early and forgive often as we have also been forgiven. To God be the glory now and always. Amen.