December 11, 2016 ~ Matthew 11:2-15

Should We Expect Someone Else?
Pastor Mathew Magera – 12/7/16 – Sermon 197
St. Thomas Lutheran Church, Trufant, MI
To God be the Glory!

Grace and peace to you from God our Father, from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. Amen.
I don't go to the movie theater very often. It's not that I don't like movies, I just don't need to see them right away. However, there are exceptions, two to be exact. James Bond and Star Wars. When a Bond movie comes out, I will see it in a theater. Now that Disney owns Star Wars, for each subsequent film they release, I will see it in the theater. For just about anything else I can usually wait for movies to be available at the library or I put them on my Christmas list. It just doesn't bother me to need to see them on a big screen. But, I still watch movies and I'm sure many of you will catch a flick every now and then or watch shows on TV.
When it comes to TV and movies, though, if you're fairly observant, you'll notice some unwritten rules about them. We've become so accustomed to these rules that the only reason we might think of them is when these laws are broken. Our minds have just come to expect certain things. Let me give you some examples. Have you ever noticed that if you're watching a scene in a grocery store someone is always carrying a grocery bag containing a stick of French bread? Have you ever noticed that a ventilation system in any building doubles as the perfect hiding place? Have you ever noticed that when a person is knocked unconscious by a blow to the head they will never suffer a concussion or brain damage? Have you ever noticed that any lock can be picked by a credit card or paper clip in seconds, unless it's the door to a burning building with a child trapped inside? Have you ever noticed that when the main character is outnumbered in a fight involving martial arts, the enemies will wait to attack them one by one instead of all at once? Have you ever noticed that when a deep decision needs to be made, it is usually raining outside at the time? And maybe dark too? I could go on but you see how there are parts about movies we expect. We've been trained to accept these nuances and we are caught off guard if these rules are ever broken.
Now I want you to take that frame of mind and place it into this Gospel reading. Right before Jesus came on the scene there was likely no better preacher than John the Baptist. He was the loud mouth prophet who never looked quite right on the outside and you wondered if he was really quite right on the inside too. He tells it like it is, he tells you who you are. He's direct, blunt, and to the point, and if he's right in front of you, has a real bad case of locust breath. John the Baptist was a loud preacher and he had a loud message to bring to the people, pointing to Jesus the entire time. "Soon there will come one more powerful than I," John says. "I baptize you with water but he will baptize with the Holy Spirit and with fire!" He preached a message of repentance. Get back in line! The Kingdom of God is near! You better get yourself right with God before Jesus comes because he comes to bring judgment! John knew the Scriptures, it seemed. The people did too. But, something happened to the peoples' expectations and it was starting to rub off on John too. The rules that this Messiah was said to follow were being broken and John the Baptist began to doubt his own preaching. You know it's bad when the loudest voice at the beginning of the Gospels as the opening act for the Jesus show start to doubt the one in which he is opening for.
Now, before I go further into that, why are we talking about doubt in Advent in the first place? These days leading up to Christmas always seem to surprise us because they aren't always the prophecies of the Nativity story or even predictions of the end of the world. We're in the beginning stages of Jesus' public ministry and we're doubting who he really is. Jesus has been alive for about 30 years already and he's got only a few more to live and now we're doubting him. Why are we talking about doubt? We don't want talk about doubt. If anything, this is the season where we have to be the strongest in faith. We're decorating our homes, our yards, ourselves with symbols of light, joy and peace on earth. We're relaxing to the lullaby hymns that dance in our heads. We're walking around wishing people "Merry Christmas!"
Advent is not a time for shaken faith. We don't want to doubt what it is we are doing here, bringing the message of Christ to people using the best and most accepted story of Jesus' life to do so. We don't want to admit we're shaken. We just want to remain strong, but inside us we can't help but wonder what is going on, that Christmastime is becoming so secular, minute after minute after minute. We all see it, don't we? But, rather than listen to what is going on, we don't want our time taken from us and we do Christian Christmas louder and better, hoping to make a change, but it doesn't come. Secular Christmas is here.
This is exactly what's going on with John the Baptist. He has spent so much time preaching one thing and then Jesus comes and doesn't seem to be preaching much judgment. He's not heavily involved with the government. He's healed a few insignificant people of their illnesses but he's not even baptizing with fire. I mean, how cool would that be to see that? But, Jesus isn't doing it. Of all the people to have their faith shaken at a time like this, it would have been unacceptable for it to be John the Baptist after all he has gone through pointing people to Jesus and believing his own words. John didn't want to follow this Jesus. He wanted the other Jesus. He wanted a Jesus with as loud of mouth as his, if not louder! His Jesus wasn't there. His Jesus never came. Are you really the one, Jesus, or should I expect someone else? Tell me you haven't asked that question of our Lord at least once. But, no way would we ask that question during the most wonderful time of the year, right? But, we do. In our hearts. We want the loud Jesus, the one that comments on our Christmas lights or our nativity scenes, the one who points to the seasonal decorations in our sanctuary or in the sweatshirts that we wear. We want that Jesus who affirms what we do, our beliefs, our political leanings. But, that's not the Jesus that comes. The message we are trying to speak louder and louder is only getting drowned out.
We get let down. We get discouraged. I'm not immune to it either. I, too, am victim to looking for a Jesus much like John the Baptist is waiting for. I get let down. I get discouraged. I can't hide it. When there are only 20 people in worship on a Wednesday evening, I'm discouraged. Why didn't Jesus reach everyone else and bring them here? What's going on, Jesus? When we have five people at our monthly men's Breakfast, I get discouraged. I want to see more families in church. I want to see more people eager to learn and come to Bible study. I want more youth to get into deep conversations with. It's actually quite easy for me to be let down in a season like this and yet even I try to mask it up and try not to let it bother me but it does. I, like you, want a loud Jesus. I want more John the Baptist. I want more results. But, I am a slave to the flesh and as long as I keep from putting my trust in Jesus, I will never find the freedom that I'm looking for. I want to be completely free from looking at numbers and statistics. But, the only way I'm going to find that freedom is not by who I want Jesus to be for me but by fully submitting to who he says he actually is.
When John the Baptist expected and preached someone who was boisterous and loud, he got someone who was timid and quiet. It was Jesus, doing the quiet acts of love in the background that caught John off guard, but it was those acts of love that Jesus uses to confirm for John who he was. “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor.” I like how Jesus starts that off, encouraging them to tell John about what they are hearing and seeing. In essence, “Go tell John what I am doing.” Loud Jesus would put people in the pews and bring in younger families. What would quiet Jesus do? This is where we need to look.
The truth about Advent is that doubts abound this time of year. So many things we are expecting are caught off guard whether it be new family feuds or disconnections, whether it be financial successes or trials, health concerns, or spiritual desires. Though this time of year is framed by hope, it is often shadowed by doubt. But, the thing about shadows is that if you see a shadow, the more defined that shadow is you know there is a bright light shining. When our doubts seem to get the best of us, we might notice that the bright light of Jesus shines brighter for us. While Advent deals with a new beginning, often people are thinking of endings. Missed accomplishments, dashed hopes, failed resolutions. Seeing people masked with fake cheer draws out depressed hearts. Jesus recognizes even the most faithful have doubts sometimes but here in Matthew, the one guy who we least expect is having second guesses. We're allowed to second guess. Our faith isn't perfect. But, Jesus will use our doubts as a chance to teach us, to remind us that some of the greatest work we can do is done quietly. If we believe Jesus is the One, even in our doubts, we can properly wonder how well we’re following him. We can wonder if the way we are celebrating and promoting Advent and Christmas in the church is working in reaching out to the poor and the marginalized and the disease-ridden in ways that may be quiet but that are nonetheless the business of grace. We can wonder if what we are doing is linked with that grace that we are called to be preoccupied with at all times and in all places.

Like I mentioned as I began about rules in movies and TV we come to expect and how we can be caught off guard when those rules are broken, sometimes filmmakers intentionally break those rules so as to make their film even better. In the same way, our rules that define Jesus in our minds should be allowed to be broken so that we can see how Jesus is even better than what we can comprehend. One thing we don't ever get to know after Jesus told John's followers what to tell him is how John heard those words. We don't know whether he was once again sparked with hope. We don't know whether he received the report or not before he died. Regardless of how John might've responded to Jesus' confirmation of his identity we have the opportunity right now to accept it or not. I'm sure it took John a long time to finally admit that he was doubting who Jesus was and have his followers check in with Jesus about it. We can ask that question now. Jesus, are you really the one, or should we expect another? Fortunately for us, Jesus answers us right away right here in Matthew 11 and while he may not be what we are expecting, he is most definitely, without a doubt, the Christ that we are waiting for. To God be the glory, now and always. Amen.