Feb. 17, 2016 ~ Psalm 91

Home, Sweet Home
Pastor Mathew Magera – 2/17/16 – Sermon 144
St. Thomas Lutheran Church, Trufant, MI
To God be the Glory!

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.” – Psalm 91:1-2

Grace and peace to you from God our Father, from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. Amen.
What's the best house you've ever lived in? Maybe it's the one you grew up in. Maybe it's the one you live in now. What do you like about it? Is it the location? It is the neighbors? Is it the decorating? The floorplan? Maybe the view out a certain window? Maybe some important events in your life happened at that house. I hope I never forget the house I grew up in. Sleeping in the hall as a child because I didn’t like my room. Playing in the crawl space, hiding under the back deck, having a bunk bed so I could sleep on the top and have toys on a piece of plywood on the bottom.
When I think of these questions and my favorite house, I tend to forget about an element of my house that I might have taken for granted because throughout all of these memories that I have of this house, what I remember most at its foundation is having the feeling of safety. Do you feel that at home? Do you feel safe? There is a certain pleasantness about being home that when I’m hurt or sick or having a bad day all I want to do is go home. It’s almost like an escape from the world, just to be home sweet home. When we’re away from home, sometimes we can be uneasy or even scared depending on where we are.
Where have you felt unprotected? I think the most scared I have ever been away from home was when Lane and I went to Tanzania in Africa as part of a seminary class and we stayed at a safari park for two nights. I know I’ve mentioned this before and it may not sound scary on the outside but we were in the middle of the African bush far from civilization in glorified tents surrounded by nature and lions and elephants and hyenas and this was something we could never have imagined. At night it was so dark you couldn't see the hand in front of your face but the sounds of hungry predators could not be forgotten. I felt unprotected. I mean, our emergency whistle that was supposed to be in a pouch above our bed was missing. But, really, what is a whistle going to do for me out there? Okay a lion approaches the tent, what am I going to do with a whistle, blow it so hard the lion goes deaf? That'll only make it more pleasant for the lion when it eats me, not having to worry about hearing me scream. Anyway, I felt unsafe. I felt unprotected. It was not home for me and I barely slept.
            There's something about being home that makes us feel safe. Then I started to wonder why. I mean, I may feel protected in my home but if we have a tornado or something catches fire, my safety as well as my very life may be in danger. So, why exactly do I feel safe at home but maybe not someplace else? And if my safety at home is at risk yet I feel comfortable there, why can't I take that feeling I have in my home with me wherever I go?
            The Psalm we read tonight makes us ask this question on an even deeper level. It begins by saying "Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty." This is talking about safety, the safety we have living in God's shelter. Down further it says, "If you say, 'The Lord is my refuge,' and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent." This sounds like a great place to live. Yet, at the same time it sounds too good to be true. I have a little trouble believing a house like this exists. There has got to be something about those two verses there that we miss when we read them because if we are thinking about resting in the shadow of the almighty and safety in God's shelter, I'm left a bit confused. In fact, I even find myself a bit scared to tell you the truth.
            In my own house, I feel safe from all that takes place outside of it but when God tells me that if I make him my dwelling place no harm will overtake me and no disaster will come near me, I can't help but doubt those very words and I'll tell you exactly why I feel that way. I think the evidence is pretty clear that Christians are being persecuted all over the world. In our own country, one man shot up people in a church down in the Carolinas. One person shot up specifically Christians at a college out west. Terrorists are killing Christians in all parts of the world specifically because of their faith. The most faithful Christians are being plagued with disease and terminal illnesses and are dying left and right just like everyone else. I'm not exactly seeing this right hand of protection that God appears to be promising.
            In fact, I'll tell you this. Being completely honest here. Later on this year, Lane and I will be taking a vacation and we're going to have the opportunity to spend a day in the ancient city of Ephesus in Turkey, where Paul preached to the Ephesians. Turkey isn't exactly a stable country at the moment and has fallen victim to a number of terrorist attacks recently. Some companies are stopping their tours in Ephesus for safety reasons. As of right now our stop hasn't been cancelled but I'm honestly a little nervous going over there, not just as an American in Turkey, but also as a Christian.
            The world has instilled fear into Christians around the world and we are not immune to that fear and we are certainly not immune to illness, destruction and death. So, how can it be that God looks at us and the Psalmist can write, "for he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will left you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone." This has to be an important verse, I mean, even Satan quoted this verse to Jesus when he was being tempted in the wilderness. So, God, where are you? How can you say this yet we see so many innocent followers of your Word and inhabitants of your house falling to the ground physically, emotionally, spiritually? Where is this “home, sweet home” you speak of?
            The dictionary says that safety is the "condition of being protected from or unlikely to cause danger, risk or injury." We don't feel safe, Lord. We do not feel safe in your arms. But, if God says we are safe and protected in his arms yet at the same time we don't believe it, in the end, who do you think needs to change? I'll give you a hint, it certainly isn't God. It's us. If God says we are safe and protected in his arms and we doubt it on any level then it is us who need to be changed. Perhaps we then think all we need is more faith, that God is only protecting those with great faith and our faith is failed. Don't fall into that trap. While a deeper faith is always our goal, the quantity of our faith is not the giver of safety and protection. We are not saved by our faith, we are saved by grace. If we are doubting God's Word and we need to be changed, what the problem is here is that we just can't see the grace. Where is that grace that protects us and keeps us safe in the shelter of your arms?
            In order for us to see that grace, we need to take a step back and look at the world. And I don't mean looking the history of our world on a timeline but actually trying to step out of time all together. We have to remember that God is outside of time and it is easy for us to get caught up looking for grace in the middle of current events but sometimes we need to look for that grace outside of time. In this case, the grace can be seen in the last verse of the Psalm. "With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation." This is not an allusion to our physical life in this world. Rather, this is God talking about eternal life. We can't see this in the English but the idea is that this long life is continually given and given and given and given. So, if we think of eternal life throughout this Psalm we see that the protection that God is promising in this particular place in Scripture is the protection from Hell. God is protecting us from the judgment of the wicked. God is keeping us safe from the wrath that will be poured out on the persecutors of Christians. It's future tense. It's saying that whatever comes at us has to come through God first. We rest in his shadow, behind him who fights for us, who saves us. It's not saying that God isn't with us right now in the present but we won't fully be able to see that protection until we enter into eternity with God. But it's still there. God says it is.
            We are safe in God's arms. We truly are. And though the pestilence stalks in the darkness and plagues destroy at midday, even though arrows may fly and bombs may explode, even though physical harm and natural disaster devastate our lives God will deliver us, his true followers from the spiritual dangers that will come upon the wicked. Jesus says in John chapter 20, "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand." This is how we can look at this Psalm and point to Jesus as our only true security in a danger-filled world. Though it appears our safety is in jeopardy here, our salvation is secured on the other side. So, we should not be in fear for if we are then we are only truly worried about losing this life and our values are misplaced. But, Jesus encourages us to keep our eyes on heavenly things and tells us that whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for his sake will find it." If we die in this world a believer in Christ, when we enter into the next we will find God's protection has been over us the entire time, ever since Christ's death on the cross. This protection is better than any protection we have ever had, better than any house we have ever lived in. Our houses do protect us but if a natural disaster strikes, that protection is gone. Once something has shaken the foundation of that house causing it to fall to the ground, it can no longer offer protection.

            Being in God's house, protected by him as our shelter and fortress does not mean that we are invincible to the troubles of this world, but it does mean that the troubles of this world will not crush God's promises nor will they crush us completely and we will be protected on the day when God annihilates them. The protection that God offers us can withstand tornadoes, fires, bombs, and the most dangerous people. And you know what, God's protection goes everywhere with us. It is with us in our homes. It is with us when we're driving. It is with us when we are flying. It is with us when we're scared. It is with us when we're sick. It is with us when we're in the hospital. It is with us when a loved one dies. It is with us everywhere and in every circumstance. We can't say that about anything else. We are home in God's arms because God won't let us go. We are safe and it's the best house in which we could ever wish to live. It truly is home, sweet home. To God be the glory, now and always. Amen.